Tuesday, May 4, 2010

To Propagandize or not to Propagandize

That is the question.

Say, for a minute, that the cares of the world have taken seed in my affections. How can I, without violating my conscience, further my political, economic, and philosophical goals? Is it not evil to persuade through half-truths, is it not worse to give my cause the best defense possible?

Two truths I can know for certain, three I can rely on:

  • Propaganda can work in the short term.
  • Propaganda eventually becomes history. 
  • Propagandists, when found out, are despised. 
But who would want to join the ranks of bias? This would make the mechanism of furthering a cause no less repugnant to a critical thinker than a biased cable news show. But not all who would hear the message would understand the bias, in fact most wouldn't. One can be so crafty with words as to fool the masses, but one can't fool everyone all the time. It's really the critical thinkers one wants as allies, not those who believe whatever they're told.

I know my course; I must not be ashamed of my actions first and foremost. I cannot tell a half-truth in support of my cause, I must be truthful to myself, my reason, and my human matrix. It would be far worse to convince a bunch of halfwits and convert the majority to a cause than to remain honest and earnest, gaining the alliance of the few who would fully understand it.


No comments: